President Lincoln and Mother Jones


Image may contain: sky and outdoor
I enjoy reading and working outside on beautiful city days. Here, I am reading Elliott J. Gorn's brilliant book "Mother Jones: The Most Dangerous Woman in America" behind the "Seated Lincoln" in Grant Park.



Mother Jones expressed a clear admiration for President Lincoln. She experienced this presidency living in Memphis during the Civil War. On June 8, 1861, The citizens of Tennessee voted 105,000 to 47,000 to secede from the Union, despite the fact that many Tennesseans – possibly a majority – were opposed to secession. Tennessee then became the last state to join the confederacy. Being in Memphis, and a unionist, Mary Jones would be very affected by this. In fact, much of the labor movement is deeply affected by the Civil War and its symbolism and social implications. Leaders often make the connection between African slavery and wage or industrial slavery.

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature
"Seated Lincoln" in Grant Park.
I am considering this to be my launch point for my walking tour. 
She refers to Lincoln often in her autobiography. For example, on one of the occasions in which she was arrested for organizing poor coal miners and immigrants, she said to a judge, "When you had me arrested I was only talking about the Constitution, speaking to a lot of men about life and liberty and a chance for happiness; to men who had been robbed for years by their masters, who had been made industrial slaves, I was thinking of the immortal Lincoln." (page 28)

As I enjoy the city and all my research, I can't help but see how relevant the labor movement of the late 19th century is to the state of our working class and immigrant populations in America today. Let all all think about the "immortal Lincoln"; show compassion towards immigrants and refugees and fight to make sure that no one is oppressed by the circumstances of their labor and socioeconomic status.



Every where I am reminded of this great president and Mother Jones' strategic use of him as a symbol for fairness and freedom. Her references to Abraham Lincoln are meant to immediately contextualize a situation of character, making her appeals more "American" and just. I happened upon another representation of Lincoln while enjoying a free-to-the-public day at the Art Institute of Chicago. Here I was reminded of another reference to this great president in her autobiography:

"Mother Jones," they said, "why don't you use your great gifts and your knowledge of men for something better and higher than agitating?"
"There was a man once," said [Mother Jones]... "who had the gift of a tender heart and he agitated against powerful men, against invested wealth, for the freedom of black men. He agitated against slavery!"
"Are you speaking of Abraham Lincoln?"...
"I am that"
...
Abraham Lincoln
This is "Abraham Lincoln," modeled 1916 by Daniel Chester French.
 I have had the pleasure of visiting it at the Art Institute of Chicago. 
Gifts of knowledge and education are not reserved for the private sphere with its high financial reward or for the lofty ivory towers, removed from the average person. These gifts, which we all posses, should at least be dedicated in part to engaging with your community and speaking against injustice. 

Chicago is so inspiring to me and so is my hero, Mother Jones.


Comments

Popular Posts